Kanji Carpet



    Reader Gert emails from Belgium:

    "Hi! I got this carpet thingy from a friend but he didn't know what it meant & neither do I since I cant read Kanji :) Would you be so kind to tell me what I've got hanging on my wall? And if I put it up the right way.. :/ I'm very anxious to know what it means, thanks again!"

    In the original image Gert has send me, the carpet was placed top side down. The characters on the carpet are correctly written Japanese phrases, although they do appear random.

    万歲 = 10,000 years, also known as "banzai"
    美 = beautiful, pretty; pleasing
    盆栽 = miniature plants, also known as "bonsai"
    祭 = sacrifice to, worship, festival
    合気道 = way of harmony with the universe, also known as "aikido"
    勝 = victory; excel, be better than
    望 = to look at, look forward; to hope, expect
    日本 = Japan; Japanese
    氷 = ice, frost, icicles; cold
    祝 = pray for happiness or blessings
    空手 = empty handed, weaponless, also known as "karate"
    酒 = wine, spirits, liquor, alcoholic beverage


Blog Archive

Total Pageviews